Sunday, November 23, 2008

Emotions are the Colours of the Soul!

A few more interesting quotes from 'The Shack":

Chapter Twelve, In The Belly Of The Beast, page one hundred seventy nine,

"As well -intentioned as it might be, you know that religious machinery can chew up people!" Jesus said with a bite of his own. "An awful lot of what is done in my name has nothing to do with me and is often, even if unintentional, very contrary to my purposes."

Chapter Twelve, In The Belly Of The Beast, page one hundred eighty one,

"..This whole thing is a process, not an event. All I want from you is to trust me with what little you can, and grow in loving people around you with the same love I share with you. It's not your job to change them, or to convince them. You are free to love without an agenda."

Chapter Thirteen, A Meeting Of Hearts, page one hundred eighty five,

"Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn't mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don't ever assume that my using something means I caused it or that I need it to accomlish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors."

Chapter Thirteen, A Meeting Of Hearts, page one hundred eighty seven,

"Honey, you're a survivor. No shame in that. Your daddy hurt you something fierce. Life hurt you. Lies are one of the easiest places for survivors to run. It gives you a sense of safety, a place where you only have to depend on yourself. But it's a dark place, isn't it?"

"Lies are a little fortress; inside them you can feel safe and powerful. Through your little fortress of lies you try to run your life and manipulate others. But the fortress needs walls, so you build some. These are the justifications for your lies. You know, like you are doing this to protect someone you love, to keep them from feeling pain. Whatever works, just so you feel okay about the lies."

Chapter Fourteen, Verbs and Other Freedoms, page one hundred ninety six,

"Emotions are the colors of the soul; they are spectacular and incredible. When you don't feel, the world becomes dull and colorless. ....."

We are nearing the end of the first book on Tea Time please let me know what you think. Is this a good format? Any suggestions? Please let me know some of your book recommendations.

Happy Reading!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first segment I believe to be 'so true'.

Free to love without an agenda, how awesome! This book has really helped me realize how I can be caught up in the shoulds, have tos, roles and expectations. I am really trying to just let things develop freely without placing so many expectations on them. I am actually finding it a lot easier, less pressure.

I found the part about the lies really interesting. I was suprised at lies I tell without even realizing I am doing it.

I absolutely love the part about emotions!!! I have a lot of emotions, they have been a weakness in the past when I didn't know what to do with them but now I consider them to be one of my best strengths!!