Saturday, January 10, 2009

I Need To Pinch Myself!

I NEED TO PINCH MYSELF, page after page...

You know the friend or family member that you have that sobs during every drama, if not crying they are yelling and throwing things at the characters on the screen? Well...I would be that friend! Yes, I have to choose my movies (and books) wisely because I get so involved that it is absolutely exhausting! My point to this little tid bit or tim bit of information is that Nineteen Minutes (January's Book)is exhausting for me to read!!!! Jodi Picoult does such a fantastic job at bringing you right into the book....I feel like I am the Mother running to see if my child is hurt...I feel like I am the policeman at the horrific scene...I feel like I am the kid being bullied....

Here are two segments I pulled out..

Page Forty:

Labor was hard for everyone, Lacy knew, but especially hard for the women who had expectations and lists and plans, because it was never the way you thought it would be. In order to labor well, you had to let your body take over, instead of your mind. You revealed yourself, even the parts you had forgotten about. For someone like Alex, who was so used to being in control this could be devastating. Success would come only at the expense of losing her cool, at the risk of turning into someone she did not want to be.

Page Sixty Six:

A boy with ape arms and a backward baseball cap grabbed the lunch box out of Peter's grasp. "Hey , freak," he said, " you want to see Superman fly?"
Before Peter understood what the older boy was doing, he opened a window and hurled Peter's lunch box out of it. Peter stood up, craning his neck around to see out the rear emergency door. His lunch box burst open on the asphalt. His apple rolled across the dotted yellow line of the road and vanished beneath the tire of an oncoming car.
"Sit down!" the bus driver yelled.

How far are you in? What do you think? Let me know with a comment or send me an email, littlemrsw@yahoo.ca.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Letting my body take over is such a challenge for me...I am all head! Getting better with age.

The bullying part breaks my heart..I can't help but want to protect my child and wish that the world would not be so cruel!

kp said...

Carrie, I too am that friend and this book is heartbreaking. I have to read it in bits and pieces as I want to crawl into the book.

Anonymous said...

Kim, I am glad I am not the only one. I want to keep Joseph home for the rest of his life. smile.