Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Adding to My Vocabulary!

A Challenging Read!

The Swallows of Kabul, December's Book, has been tough to get into. Around page 20 or so I started to get hooked and I am still enjoying it now. 'Kabul' has many words I do not recognize and at first that put me off but I decided to use it to my advantage. Here are some of the words and their meaning...

According to The Concise Oxford Dictionary:

banality- in sense 'compulsory', hence 'common to all'.

puritanical- often derog. practising or affecting strict religious or moral behaviour.

latent- concealed, dormant.

vacillate- fluctuate in opinion or resolution.

impassive- deficient in or incapable of feeling emotion.

impoverished- make poor, exhaust the strength or natural fertility of.

inordinately- disorderly

languid- lacking vigour; idle; inert; apathetic.

eruditely - showing great learning.

funereal- (not funeral)- of or appropriate to a funeral. gloomy, dismal, dark.

litanies- a series of petitions for use in church services or processions.

compunction- the pricking of the conscience, a slight regret.

precipice- a dangerous situation.

loquacious- talkative; chattering, babbling.

Phew! So, looking up these words has definitely made this book more time consuming; on the other hand I am challenged to add these new words to my vocabulary.

What do you think? Tough read?

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finished the swallows of kabul before the Shack which I just finished. Both were great reads. The ideas that stuck with me from Swallows were about repression as a way of dealing with temptation. I think it often backfires. Learning from experience as opposed to over protection is sometimes a good thing. Helpful to remember when parenting. I don't want to give away the story so this probably sounds irrelevant now. Anyway, How deep love can be also illustrated well. One characters version of hell shown well at the end. Good Book.

The Shack, amazing read, reminds me of the Ten people you meet on the way to heaven. Good to read for the important messages and hope we can all learn forgiveness in a real sense like the character does. Good idea to suspend your disbelief so you can learn from the story.

I am into ready Jodi Picoult books right now and find them captivating. She goes very deeply into human emotions. Enjoyable.

Thanks
Cathy, Carries Mom