Monday, October 20, 2008

November's Book

The Shack, Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity, WM. Paul Young, is our book of the month.

Mackenzie Allen Philips's youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later, in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend.

Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless question: Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain? The answer's Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

As you read, or when you are done reading this book, please post your thoughts. Hopefully we can have a lot of fun with this.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I don't read, but hopefully this will get me started. This month I am so pressed for time, but NEXT month I am in! Did you really write that, you should be a jounalist or something!!!!! Love you, Bon

Unknown said...

Hey Carrie,
Nice review. You have a way with words. Concise and well written.

Too bad I don't read non-fiction,[grin] but I bet you will get Mom.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

I think this is just what I needed! Something adult! LOL! Can't wait to start the book, looks great Care! xo

Anonymous said...

So I started it last night and read for an hour and a half before I knew it! My eyes were burning! LOL! It is really good and sad so far.

Grace said...

Jesse, wow, you are good! I haven't even started it yet. I better get at it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,
I just borrowed that book from my mother-in-law and haven't started yet but it would be nice to read and chat about it.

Jessie said...

Okay, so I finished the book a few days ago and I am sad that it is over! I'll be honest, some stuff went over my head but what a story! I won't give it all away for those who arn't done though. It really reinforced how I felt about God and religion in so many ways which was comforting and opened my eyes to so many other ways to live. I remember when my only day off used to be a Sunday and my Dad or someone would say I should go to church and I said my God would want me to rest not go to a church that someone built and worship him, he cares about me and my health too much for that and God is not selfish. i don't think God needs worshiping. respect yes! Anyway, reading parts of this book, the way papa speaks made me feel at home. :)

Jessie said...

Oh, by the way, I am in no way insulting the church everyone! I realized how my comment may of come across. I do go to church, not all the time but when we can. i think it is a wonderful way to be part of a community and to be there for other people,a ll with a common interest. I feel that God is kind of always with you though inside so if you can't get to a church you can still believe in god, respect and care about god and religion. Anyway, my words seema bit jumbled, I am sleepy but I didn't want to offend anyone!!

Anonymous said...

Jesse,I don't think you came off offensive. I agree,people worship God in different ways. I know I feel closest to God when I am outside.

There have been times in my life where I did not feel comfortable going to Church, for what ever reason. Presently, I really enjoy going to my church, I love to sing ( even though I sound horrible), the messages are very real and thought provoking, and Joseph loves Sunday school.